Emergency Candle kits

109K Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 109K StumbleUpon 0 Google+ 47 Buffer 0 LinkedIn 0 Reddit 0 Email -- Filament.io 109K Flares ×

Emergency preparedness candle kits

Quite a while ago our ward did Emergency preparedness candle kits but I of course didn’t do them that night I was a big procrastinator and just barely got mine done.
For these kits you need a wide mouthed canning jar (with lid and ring) 4 candles (like the one in the pictures) you can find these at Wilderness survival gear online for .99 cents each but they go down in price if you buy them in bulk. They are 5″ x 1.5″ candles will burn for 8 to 10 hours. I made 5 jars – one for each level of my home then extra’s just in case.

Emergency candle kit

Next you will take a 1.5″ round PVC pipe and cut the sections 1″ tall. (you can use a saw for this and it goes really fast) Take non flammable glue and glue the PVC section onto the bottom of the lid.

Emergency candle pvc ring

When done drying you can add your small box of matches and close the top. (like in the first picture) If the lights go out and you have no power this is how you can set up the candle (see picture below)

Emergency candle on top

Keep them in a convenient place so when the lights go out you know just where to find them!

Post Footer automatically generated by wp-posturl plugin for wordpress.

Comments

1. Caitlin says

I found this page via pinterest and just wanted to let you know I think this is an awesome idea and thank you for sharing. I hope to put a bunch of these together soon as I’m trying to be more prepared for emergencies. Thanks for the link to Wilderness Survival Gear also!

2. Bob Wolfe says

I made these for Christmas this year. I ordered my candles from Wilderness Survival Gear. I ordered 48. They were $1.00 a piece. Three of the 48 were broken at the top of the candle. The candles were not 1 1/2 in diameter, more like just under 1 1/4. So I switched from 1 1/2 PVC to 1 1/4 and they fit just fine. I used E6000 glue which is non-flammable. You can get it at most hobby stores. We got it at Pat Catans. Hope that helps anyone else who would like to make them.

3. Patti says

You could also trace around the inside lid onto sandpaper and adhere it to the other side so that you will always have a surface to strike the match on.

4. Carol Sabet says

Thank you. You have provided the idea for my extended family gift giving this Christmas. EVERYONE has power outages at some point. The emergency candle kit is a perfect gift for anyone.

5. Sondra Dudley says

Now why did’ I think of that. These would be great to make a lot of in case of prolonged outage. They could also be used to cook over (in a pinch) .

• says

These are not like a normal candle they burn very slow and for a long period of time. (approx. 30 hours) which is rare for a taper candle. During the burn time the wax more evaporates then it does pool. Does that make sense? They are emergency candles not normal taper candles.

6. says

Such a super great idea to make these up and have them ready to go in case of emergency. If the power goes out, you know right where they are. Being prepared is so smart.

Trackbacks